1.06.2008

Verdant and Unction

I am singing one of my very favorite songs next Saturday at the funeral: The King of Love My Shepherd Is by Harry Rowe Shelley, written in 5 flats. I've sung it many times, often as a duet with my oldest brother. In fact, we sang it at our mother's funeral.

Sometimes when a song is too familiar we can glaze over the words. As the widower in New York pondered music choices this week, I took the time to type out the words to this classical piece, and email it to him. The words are stunning.

Two of the words needed clarification: verdant and unction.
Verdant: green with vegetation
Unction: something soothing or comforting. (Loved this, as the phrase is "unction grace.")
Here are the words in total. I haven't figured out how to sing a blog, but please know that the music is haunting.

The King of love my Shepherd is, Whose goodness faileth never;
I nothing lack if I am His, and He is mine forever.
Where streams of living water flow, my ransomed soul He leadeth
And where the verdant pastures grow, with food celestial feedeth.

Perverse and foolish oft I strayed, but yet in love He sought me
And on His shoulder gently laid, and home rejoicing brought me
Perverse I strayed But yet in love He sought me,
And on His shoulder gently laid,
And home rejoicing brought me.

In death’s dark vale I fear no ill, with Thee, dear Lord, beside me
Thy rod and staff my comfort still, Thy Cross before to guide me.
Thou spread’st a table in my sight, Thy unction grace bestoweth,
And O, the transport of delight, with which my cup overfloweth

And so through all the length of days, Thy goodness faileth never,
Good Shepherd, may I sing Thy praise within Thy house forever!
And so through all the length of days, Thy goodness faileth never,
Good Shepherd, may I sing Thy praise within Thy house for ever!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment


FBL website logo