1.11.2008

Saratoga Springs


I'm finally here. And within minutes of arriving at the Hilton, my red jammied/black slippered self was at the computer blogging, sipping decaf and listening to the bathtub fill. To a forty something mom of four, it is magical to consider a hotel room to myself. Whew.


I have so many blogs to write I don't know where to start! So, since I've been on the road or practicing or at the wake for 13 hours straight, I'm just going to whet the blog appetite with subjects on which to expound. It's been an amazing day.

Video: "24" My boss loaned me season one, and I'm through hour 4...what an addicting show! I watched "3 am to 4 am" in the Milwaukee airport, on my laptop. Whew.

Book: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert I read this on the plane, and on the layover, and I'll be reading it again soon amid the bubbles. A kindred spirit gave it to me for Christmas, saying she couldn't wait to discuss it. WHAT a book. I want to eat it up, and yet never have it end. Hmmmm. I actually read it with a pencil in my hand, and there are exclamation points, smiley faces and stars all through the margins. I'm done with Eat, (Italy) and I'm currently reading of Pray (set in India). While I am a conservative Christian through and through, I am LOVING reading about the yoga, the meditation, the guru, the Ashram... I will blog and blog...it is just such readable writing, like I'm sitting with Elizabeth and she is breathlessly recounting her story. Sue, WHEN will we have our book review?? Let's have it in Italy...

Family: Each time I met a family member (the widower has 3 siblings) there were tears. I'm a little incredulous as to the impact of my singing at the widower's parents' funerals. Another whew. I've been adopted right in. I was met in Albany by Carol, who had also just flown in from Wisconsin, and she and her husband (Frank!) drove to the train station where we picked up their son, daughter in law and granddaughter; and their daughter and her boyfriend. We all packed into a mini van, with our luggage, and yakked all the way to Saratoga Springs. There was mention of a wedding in Austria (the daughter in law is from Austria, but they only had a civil wedding, quite recently, and they want a ceremony in Austria) They asked if I'd be willing to fly THERE to sing, and I said "I'm in!" Whew. (there were a lot of whews today)(And no, I don't really think they'll fly me to Austria...)

Music: I'll have to blog about walking into the nondescript church and hearing the viola (Oberlin School of Music) and the cello (Julliard) practicing Pachelbel's Canon. WWHHEEWW.

Lynn: My accompaniest is from near NYCity, speaks with a Brooklyn accent, has mounds of dark curly hair, and is in every way stereotypical New York. We were immediately fast friends, and ate together, went to the wake together, and then to Dunkin Donuts for our decafs while we discussed how we hope we're young enough to stay awake to actually enjoy the decadence of rooms at the Hilton to ourselves. Ha.

The bubbles are popping, the water is cooling, my feet are aching, and my book is calling. So, good night for now.

Hey...someone leave a comment. I know some of you are reading, since you've told me, but I'd love it if you just said "hi" now and then! You don't have to log in...when you're in the comments area, scroll down and use the "anonymous" button. Are there other tricks? One friend said it didn't work...

Sweet dreams!

3 comments:

  1. It's me (Diane) - I'll try the anonymous option and see if it works. At one time not too long ago, blogger had it set so you had to have a blogger id or register in order to comment. Hint hint - that would not be an issue if you switched to haloscan commments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - write the comment, then go down and click the "Anonymous" radio button, then click in the word verification box (next to the wheelchair) and type the green letters you see - should work for everyone.

    24 - I watched days one through 4 in less than three months a year ago last summer, and day five (which is phenomonal) in less than a week when it came out 12/06. Search my blog for "Kiefer Sutherland" Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, it's Sue...on a cold Saturday at home...taking a break from cleaning and laundry and a movie I just finished EVENING, I really think you would like it...very thought provoking. I was hoping to soak in the bathtub and get clean sheets on my bed (have to wash them first) before I get tucked in the for the night, but you've pulled me into your blog with your wonderful writing and I'm hooked. I feel like we are sitting on the couch together talking. I'm in New York with you now. I have much to read and many days and words have passed since you first wrote about taking down your tree. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog...your writing is a gift I am giving myself...forget about clean sheets...I'm soaking up your words instead of soaking in the tub. Miss you...but feel like I'm with you...and I always love you. Sorry for my long comment...gotta go and read... sweet dreams...

    ReplyDelete


FBL website logo