Wow. That's the summary of tonight's class. Wow.
I can't really summarize 2.5 hours of lecture, but I am SO GLAD the guy next to me has a voice recorder and records it all. Then, amazingly, the recorder (about the size of an ipod nano) has a USB and I can plug it into my laptop and download it after class. So lucky me, I can listen again.
One thing that really struck me was that " The Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized in Jesus Christ." (John 1:17) Our prof was so into this thought he was almost glowing, or close to tears, or something. He pointed out that these twins - grace and truth - are what differentiate us as followers of Christ. So many people err on the side of grace and forget the truth of God's word. But so many err on the side of truth and do not give grace to people. Jesus perfectly embodied both, and both are so necessary in order to draw others to God. He challenged us to see what our bent is, and then to consciously work on incorporating more of the other twin. Jesus is the only one who could work them in perfect harmony, but we can get closer and closer to balance as we draw closer to Him.
This was such a succinct description of what I see all around me. I have friends who tend to hammer things home, and show so little flexibility for the humanity of people. And I have friends who tiptoe all over the place because the truth might offend someone. And then of course there's me. Ironically, Grace's dominant twin is truth, not grace. But as I age this is indeed softening. Perhaps more as I've been taught (the hard way) how weak and susceptible I am. Realizing my own susceptibility allows me to extend so much more grace. And then I can err on the side of fearing that I may offend someone with Truth...sigh... I have a long long way to go to get to any sort of balance.
Well, if I can ever figure out how to express it, I'd LOVE to share the discussion about the Pharisees and the Sadduccees and how we as Christians are still like them in so many ways... but that's for another day.
Whew. I love this class.
He did not have a chance to print out our homework assignment...so...it will be emailed. I am SO disappointed...I'm not kidding...I can't wait to dive back in, and I fear He might not get it emailed out til Monday. Sigh.
For now I will go play one more word in Scrabble on the dreaded Facebook, and then it's time to hit the hay. Thankfully I can sleep in a bit tomorrow. (fabulous flexible job)
G'night!
No comments:
Post a Comment