I'm not doing so well on blogging about the Advent study. At the moment I'm juggling two studies: Advent and the Names of God, and while I'm LOVING it and almost keeping up, the time to blog has been usurped. But here I am for a quickie before bed.
Today I was reading about David, the shepherd boy, the slayer of Goliath, the adulterer and murderer, and the man after God's own heart. What a character! One of the assigned verses was this one:
1 Ch 28:9 “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.
How blessed for David to be able to tell his son to "know the God of your father." We can't fool our kids! I want our children to know, without a doubt, Who is the God of their mother. (and father) And not only who He is, but I too want them to know Him. That is the most important legacy there is.
Whole heart and willing mind. Willing mind. Are we willing to do what He tells us?
For the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. This phrase gives me great comfort as well as reason to pause. The comfort is that unlike people, God always understands me and my intentions. When I'm trying, successfully or not, to do His will or carry out His best plan, He knows it. When I totally blow something, He knows that that was not my intention, and He understands my original intent. That is comforting. HOWEVER, I can't fool Him. I can fool a lot of people, but I can't fool God with any false religiosity...He searches my heart and knows my intent. Give it up, Grace.
If you seek Him, He will let you find Him. Wonderful comfort. Warm fuzzies.
If you forsake Him He will reject you forever. No sugar coating here.
Life is all about choices. The Bible is all about choices. Choose God and choose the path of blessing. Choose other than God and choose the path of curses. It's simple.
Simple though the choices be, I find it reassuring that God so used David in spite of himself. Gives us all hope, doesn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment