1.25.2010

Theology

My first quiz for this semester's Theology class is tonight. I love this stuff. I'm not sure how to study for a quiz - it's all such brainiac interconnected stuff...but...I'm reviewing my notes.

Here is one list. Such basics. Such richness.

The Christian View of Creation.

1. We are a creature of God. - created in His image.
2. We are created special by God.
3. Man has an eternal nature: we are created for eternity.
4. We have a physical being.
5. The meaning of life is NOT happiness.
The meaning of life is to know, to serve and to love God.

Is that not just a simple reminder of truth? If you want to find more meaning in your life, find more ways to serve God. Stop pursuing happiness. Stop pursuing stuff or experiences or whatever - find a way to know Him better, serve Him better, love Him better.

Someone once, long ago, asked me why I stayed in a marriage that at times was so hard. (Every marriage is hard at times!) My answer was better than I knew: "Because my marriage isn't all about my happiness."

In marriage, in parenthood, in work, in friendship, in the keeping of my body, in the keeping of my home - in all of it - I need to look at how does *this* best glorify God? That leads to wise choices. Wise choices include spending time in the Word; praying; serving my spouse and/or my child, my friend, my church, my coworker; in losing weight if I need to; in eating correctly; in exercising to keep what I have in the best working order that I can... It's all about what GLORIFIES God the best. It's NOT about making me happy.

And yet... God created me for the purpose of knowing Him and glorifying Him, so pursuing HIM *will* result in my ultimate satisfaction. It's a fact. Bet on it.

We need to stop trying to figure out how to mend our feelings, undo a mess, find happiness, find contentment, heal our hurts, satisfy our taste buds... In fact, I need to stop concentrating on ME at all. Concentrate on Him. It's what you and I were made for. Live to serve.

Simple truth.

[And yes... there are a lot of posts about satisfying recipes, books, hobbies, decor, etc. on my blog. I need to be careful that none of those are self serving. Does that make sense? We honor God by feeding our families, learning and growing, enjoying the life He gave us... but as soon as we forget the MAIN path to satisfaction... we're in trouble.]

No comments:

Post a Comment


FBL website logo