In my robe, sipping coffee, enjoying the relative peace and quiet and lack of schedule. My soul refreshment.
I picked up a book purchased years ago at a Family Life conference, Thanksgiving, A Time to Remember. A few hours have slipped by as I have read, stared out the window, journaled and reflected. A very good time of preparation.
The book is written for families to read at Thanksgiving, recalling the Pilgrims and their steadfast faith during rigorous hardship. Perhaps it is my Christian History class that has awakened an appreciation for remembering, but for whatever reason I am mesmerized by this book. The presentation is also lovely, with paintings and photos. The cover features a pumpkin pie and a glowing hearth.
As the Separatist church in Holland (having fled there from England) considered journeying to the New Land in order to have religious freedom, they had such incredible perspective. "William Bradford later wrote, 'They had a great hope and inward zeal of laying a good foundation, for the propagating and advancing of the kingdom of Christ in those remote parts of the world; yea though they should be but even as stepping stones unto others."
That last phrase catches me. ...yea though they should be but even as stepping stones unto others...
What a lovely perspective as I head into a busy five days of family gathering. It's easy to slip into the mode of wondering whyI have all the burden of planning and executing the holidays. But perhaps what I'm doing is attempting to be a stepping stone into future generations. I will persevere through a bit of resistance as I bring new thought and tradition into our day tomorrow. I've asked all the children to be sensitive - this is an extremely difficult transition for me. Thanksgiving has always been about my dad. He often brought a devotional, and he always had a long (emphasis on long- while the sliced turkey cooled) heartfelt prayer of Thanksgiving. His appreciation of good food cannot be overstated, and cooking for his pleasure really eased the workload. There was a natural Christian bent to our celebration, no matter who was gathered. Gib was a pastor and his love for his Lord shone through his readings and prayers.
And now he is gone. It doesn't seem as natural for me to pull in the Christian tradition. It's not the way Frank experienced Thanksgiving for most of his life... he is not sharing my utter sense of loss. So as I read and wait for God's leading, I am hopeful of new tradition and new ways to show thankfulness. A few coworkers may be joining us...yet I want our God focus to be as if it were just the six of us. No hiding.
And so that quote comforts me. We may not achieve the Hallmark Thankgiving scene this year. But new traditions can be begun, including reading from this lovely history of Thanksgiving. Stepping stones. I'm placing stepping stones into the future where our four children will have their own celebrations. Perhaps grandma grace will be the one who always prays to give thanks. What a lovely thought. I'd still rather have Gib...but...he's with his King...he's enjoying his reward with his wife and brother and others who have gone before. He's happy.
We here will celebrate the heritage we have been given, forge a new family bond for the six of us, and move on. A lot of celebration lies in the years ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment