9.28.2009

Out and About


A friend just sent me this photo which she snapped on the retreat. I was sneaking off to a gazebo in the woods to study when she spotted me and called my name...

I've been spending a lot of time in the woods lately. I love that. In fact, I've been blessed with a lot of travel - for fun and for work. In fact, I'm exhausted.

When we arrived home from Door County last night I had a melt down. It was aimed at no one in particular, but I just melted down. Anna had a busy week end herself, with Homecoming game Friday, Homecoming dance Saturday, and a Marching Band competition on Sunday. [Frank and I REALLY needed to reconnect, so, yes, we chose to miss all that when the neighbors invited us to a getaway at their DC home...] She and Jake had picked up Chinese food for Sunday dinner, and the remains were all over the table and counter. Jake had made macaroni at some point...those dishes were there too. The garbage was overflowing, the week end chores were not done, it was pouring rain as we unloaded the groceries we had stopped to buy, blah blah blah. Thus the melt down - reality was simply too much.

So, I went to bed. For those of you who have not learned this yet, going to sleep really DOES change the main thing: your perspective. 8 hours later I awoke to a new day and the energy to start to get it done, one item at a time.

Started on the couch. God sets my priorities.

Next I made the rotten undeserving children scrambled eggs, hot cinnamon rolls and slices of orchard fresh apples. They scarfed it down so quick that I decided that further cooking seemed necessary. I boiled chicken for soup and browned up a couple pounds of hamburger for spaghetti and chili later in the week. The deboned chicken is now in the crock pot, simmering away to yumminess along with sauteed onions, celery and garlic and a bag of shredded broccoli and carrots. When I get home from a couple hours of catch up time at work [can't take my normal Monday off due to travel tomorrow ] I'll make noodles. I'm going to get bread going in the bread machine too.

Cleaned all the dishes. Scraped the stove interior, and it is on the cleaning cycle now, right next to the humming dishwasher. Even went overboard and organized the Tupperware closet and rearranged in there. I had just had ENOUGH of living with "just enough" to keep the house going. Once in a while I simply implode, and what I really need then is a good fix of nesting. Beware of the white tornado.

Home truly is where my heart is. I'm starting to dream of age 50 plus... I hope to have my degree done, and the last one off to college... hoping to step out of the hamster wheel and into more ministry. More writing. More speaking. I'm just not a corporate America kinda gal, even with a PLUM flexible part time job. If only someone would pay me to stay home. Oh...and please throw in a company car.

I love that picture. I look pretty happy sneaking off with my bag of books to get caught up emotionally and spiritually. Thankfully I have been consistent with my hour each morning...I can't imagine life without that. More melt downs would definitely be occurring!

This has been an excellent Monday morning. Just in from a brisk walk with Boomer. A nap is sounding good... sigh. Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to work I go, thanking God for the flexibility to take a half day in light of the occasional melt down.

Just part of being human I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment


FBL website logo