To You I shall offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving,
And call upon the name of the Lord. Psalm 116:17
This morning in my quiet moments I read Psalm 116. The word "sacrifice" carries such difficult and unpleasant connotations, but here the sacrifice is thanksgiving combined with calling on the name of the Lord. Is that not a commentary on man? Just thanking God requires sacrifice: the sacrifice of time, of thought, of intention, and of giving up the urge to complain and whine.
I was reminded of another verse in Hebrews:
Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. Hebrews 13:15
Again, the sacrifice is so simple: the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. The author commands it *continually.*
Continually? Is this true of me? Is this true of you?
Let's work on sacrifice today. Let's continually offer up thanks to God rather than offering grumbling to our fellow man. Could we do it for a whole day?
No comments:
Post a Comment